View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #1047
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Why can't the government not be in the business of convicting people but provide justice which is fair and equal for all.

I guess I have trouble with the ideology of "justice is blind" and "innocent until proven guilty" be unwavering tenets but also acknowledge that money will always buy you the best defense.
What you're asking about is funding for lawyers. The government does provide finding for low income people via legal aid.

But yes, it's far from a perfect system, as rich people will typically be able to afford better lawyers. I don't see any way around that. If you forced all criminal defence lawyers to be publicly employed, in addition to the conflict of interest I stated, most wouldn't do it. The mindset for most criminal defence lawyers is that they are entrepreneurs and working against the governmen, in favor of civil rights. Also most would not fit into a structured government position with office politics, structured hours, structured retirement, etc... From my experience there is a distinct personality difference between defence lawyers and prosectors.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote