View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Hijacking this thread myself for some opinions on 55" sets. I'm looking at either the mu8000 or x900E. Anyone have either or tried both and can share their opinion. The only other sets I'd look at would be the LG OLED C7. But it's a big step up from $1200 to $2000.

I have had all three of these as it happens (first the X900E, returned due to a defect, then the MU8000, also returned, and now the B7, which is the same panel as the C7). The ranking is:

1) C7/B7

2) X900E

3) MU8000

All good TV’s, especially if you’re coming from something non-4K or HDR. The LG takes the cake overall as OLED technology’s somewhat on another level when it comes to contrasts and colours, but the X900E, at its price point, ain’t too far behind and is a great set. The MU8000 is also decent and is aesthetically quite nice with its design and Samsung’s little connection box for all your inputs, but is a step behind the X900E by just a hair (partially due to how the panels are backlit. The X900E is “FALD” - full array local dimming, whereas the MU is conventionally edgelit. The blacks and contrast are stronger on Sony’s TV as a result).

It does somewhat depend on what you’ll be using them for of course. Mine’s pretty much exclusively for gaming, so input lag’s a huge factor for me and the X900E’s was a bit higher than I liked. Still more than playable for the majority of gamers, but something I noticed as someone who plays a lot of first person shooters and whatnot. The LG is the snappiest of the three with the Samsung being similar.