View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #5774
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So I swapped on my winter tires over the weekend and was an idiot and lost the lug nut key for one of my vehicles. I've looked everywhere for it and can't find it - I think I must have accidentally left it on the final wheel when I was doing a change and it fell off when I drove it to put air in the tires. Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) Is this something a dealership can fix? Or will they just charge me a crazy amount and possibly damage something? I looked on YouTube and it looks like you can DIY this with a 12-point socket that is just slightly too small for the lug - anyone try this?

2) Once I get the locking lug nuts off, can I just buy 4 new lug nuts and put them on? Or is it bad to have different lug nuts on each wheel? Would I need to buy a full set of 20 to replace them? I bought the vehicle used and cannot find non-locking lugs anywhere

Thanks in advance!
If it’s a factory OEM wheel lock, the ID tag should be either in the glovebox or more appropriately, with the spare tire jack equipment.

If not, take it to a decent tire shop, throw the guys $50 and they’ll use a hammer on type socket to remove the locking set and replace with a standard one. Generally speaking, make sure the thread, seat type and head size are the same. If your truck takes a 22mm cap type, get some OE ones.