Thread: 2018 World Cup
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Pretty crazy selection decision, Belgium has great talent but lack a style of play and any real cohesiveness. I also am not sold on Hazard as a player who can turn up on the biggest stage and lead his team to glory, same with De Bruyne. Both have had great domestic success but very little to show on the international or champions league level.

A great predictor of success in this tournament is having a team with players that are already proven on the worlds biggest stages. I see very little of that on Belgium. I felt a similar way about Brazil’s 2014 team compared to other world class teams at the time.
Really? I consider Belgium to be one of the strongest teams, albeit their omission of Naingollan seems short sighted, hes an effective weapon as a 'Plan B.'

BUt thats a scary good team, their only real issue is depth. Their starting XI is excellent.

I dont think Hazard or Lukaku really need to prove anything anymore and while their domestic seasons werent great, they can really turn it up at the World Cup.

Hazard is basically blackmailing Chelsea into signing players or he wont re-sign, but I see their opening lineup and its impressive.

In no particular order

Courtois
Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen - Vermaelen
Hazard - De Bruyne - Dembele - Witsel
Lukaku - Benteke

I probably wouldnt have Lukaku and Benteke on at the same time, but thats a solid lineup and they still have some depth on the bench.

Thats a good team especially when you consider that KDB is going to be spraying passes to Hazard and Lukaku.

The Belgians are definitely in this with a shout, but Martinez does not inspire me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote