View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been there a few times for work too. When the threats are absent, it's actually a pretty nice place. Erbil is an up-and-coming city, or at least was... I haven't been there since ISIS became a thing.

But the posters before me are right... the Kurds just voted for independence and that's gonna make Iran, Turkey, and Iraq itself nervous and there could be some military action. I was in a meeting a couple weeks ago with an oil company in Dubai that wanted to re-start a drilling program in 2018, so it seems the demise of ISIS has some feeling more comfortable about the security of the region, but if you ask me, the Kurds are poking the bear(s) by even discussing independence at this time, let alone actively pursuing it.

If you're still considering it, make sure you get a good feel for what the company plans to do for you if the **** hits the fan. Chances are you'll be safe and have security around you all the time, but if you need to get out of the country, what will the company do to make that happen? Some are better than others.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote