View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
To me, if you don't have a cover letter, you don't want the job. I want someone that wants the position I'm looking for.
I'm indicating I want the job by sending my resume that details why I'm qualified to do this job for you. This should be self evident.
Quote:
If you just give me a resume, you're going through the motions.
Yes, that's how it is in this environment when employers have hundreds of applicants to choose from and never provide feedback.
Quote:
A cover letter lets me know that (a) you know about this specific position; (b) you want to work for my organization; and (c) have put time and thought into your application.
I know about this specific position because I've sent you my resume. I want to work for your organization, because I've sent you my resume. I have put time and thought into my application, because I read your cookie cutter job posting, know I am qualified and capable of doing it well, and because I have sent you my resume.

Quote:
Anyone can just give a resume. If you don't have the initiative to write a cover letter, why would I think you have initiative in the position?
Why wouldn't you think I "have initiative" when my resume demonstrates I am completely capable of doing the job you're filling? What does pasting a cover letter into an online portal prove about "initiative" or other intangibles? Exactly nothing.
Quote:
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, and no cover letter is past behaviour of not showing initiative.
Wow that's deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
If I’m the employer I want to know why I should spend my time and energy to bring you in for the interview.
Because I'm qualified and capable of doing the job, as documented on my resume.
Quote:
So at the very least the cover letter should show you’ve done some research about my organization and why you’d be a good fit.
What does this empty corporate speak even mean? What kind of research are you expecting? Knowing the name of your company? Name dropping the CEO? Vaguely referencing the industry you belong to?
Quote:
I don’t think it’s enough to convince them “yes, this guy is qualified for this position”. Instead, it should be “yes, I think I want this guy on my team”.
I have absolutely zero idea how a cover letter would make you want someone on your team before you've even met them. That's what an interview is for.

Sorry for venting. I just hate cover letters with the fiery passion of 1,000 suns.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: