View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #32
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might find a lot of difference by role, industry and company.

To one of the original Qs, we regularly hire from elsewhere for the right candidate. For me it would be a non issue.

If candidates send cover letters for postings in my team I don’t ever see them. And past a certain point of utility don’t really care about the resume. It is often a screen of course so I’m not saying ignore it.

I’d suggest who you know is still a big thing. But it’s way easier to ‘know’ someone than ever. Probably half of our hires have a connection. That doesn’t have to mean old pals though. Some were obscure like a friend of an old colleague who made a linked in connection with a current colleague and grabbed a coffee before anything was ever posted. Build and use your network.

I’d also suggest targeting companies, not just roles. Some have a talent community on LinkedIn that exist to make connections and find engaging people. Meet them. Send emails. Grab coffee with a talent scout. Find out the charities they support and show up to schmooze. Make a YouTube video. Whatever is your thing and seems to fit the culture of the place you are trying to get hired. And don’t be afraid to take a different gig if it’s a door in.

That won’t fit every place of course, but I think it’s becoming more common, especially at strong companies and less senior roles.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote