View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #194
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updates from Huff:

The Stamps had 41 potential free agents heading into the winter, and with the collective bargaining agreement with the CFLPA expiring, there are a lot of players who are waiting to see what happens before inking new deals.

That means with free agency set to open Feb. 12, there’s a lot of roster construction that still needs to be done.

The Stamps aren’t alone in that, though, it’s something that every CFL team is dealing with.

“I’ve always been a guy who is going to try to sign the guys in my locker-room,” Hufnagel said. “If they refuse to sign, then I will go somewhere else on free-agent day.

“Do I have some holes to fill? Yeah, but I’m hoping it’s not entirely through free agency. No. 1, I can’t afford it. I’m not a free-agency player because I can’t afford to do it. I try to build good football teams and I don’t believe free agency is the way to do it.”

Kamar Jorden may not be able to play next season. If he does, it seems that the Stamps want him in their uniform.

The knee injury he suffered in the Labour Day Classic is likely to keep him out until late-August, at least, but Jorden has committed publicly to trying to work his way back onto the CFL field.

The Stampeders have been monitoring his progress, and Hufnagel was unequivocal in his support for his fallen star receiver.

“I’m his biggest cheerleader,” Hufnagel said. “Kamar will be a Stampeder.”

Things are a little less clear with a couple other receivers.

Eric Rogers openly contemplated retirement after the season, and Hufnagel wanted to give him some time before discussing plans for next year.

“I haven’t had any discussions with Eric,” Hufnagel said. “I wanted to give him a little time so he can fully evaluate what he went through last season and just fully evaluate what he had to go through during the season just to get ready to play, ready to practise. I think you need some time to figure that out.”

https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...ason-of-change
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: