View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
The last that I have heard is that there is a possibility of a new association which would have some Springbank, some Trails West (and I thought some Bow River, but possible Glenlake). This is a real challenge as this new association would not really have a home rink. The other challenge with Springbank, is that if you carve off too much of Springbank, and the remaining portion has too large of a proportion outside of the city, there there are issues. The other thing that I had just heard is folding one of the smaller associations in the north and moving boundaries over to the NE - apparently more ice available up there.
Seems ice availability always seems to be a major factor in the discussion. I'm not sure how much Hockey Calgary has a say in that but I do know from past experience that ice and ice politics almost always come into play between the associations when they are. Ice is at such a premium that everyone is angling to get as much as they can. Large associations are receptive to merge or amalmagate with smaller ones (who might have lots of ice) with the eye towards grabbing that ice. The smaller ones on the other hand are reluctant to give up any of their own ice to larger associations and expect ice to come along with any players that are moved into their associations. It can get very heated.

The NE does have 'extra' ice that goes to teams from all over the city. Bow River get's enough ice at Village Square that it is practically considered a home rink for example.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote