View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #44
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Timely.

Also, anyone using hockey as a reason to "get a scholarship" south of the border is foolish. Most Canadian institutions are top notch and offer tuition levels far far below their U.S. counterparts.

Other than the Big10, I can't think of a conference that would give a hockey scholarship and would provide you with a quality education on par with Canadian schools. I know playing hockey can help with your resume to get into the Ivy league but you're still going to cough up 100k.
The Ivy's do a pretty good job of finding cash in their endowments for athletes, and need based scholarships are all over the place. Outside of that and the Big 10 there are a few good East coast schools (BC, BU, Providence etc.) that offer top notch academics as well as hockey.

At the end of the day your point in the first paragraph really nails it though. There are very few scholarships at US schools available to Canadian hockey players, and most of them are going to guys who are the best of the best. The math just doesn't make sense.

Honestly the goal should be left to the child. Give him/her the information and help them make their decisions, but ultimately it needs to be their decision. Do they want to chase that scholarship even if the odds are slim? If so support them as best you can. Do they want to spend their summers golfing? Get them some clubs. There's nothing wrong with decisions in either direction, they just need to be based upon educated choices. And when they're 6 years old just let them do what makes them happy, one of the best players I grew up with didn't play organized hockey until he was 12. Taking a summer of when you're 6 is not going to kill your draft stock.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote