View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #85
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Honest question for you because I'm curious and please understand I am in no way judging.

Given what we know about CTE, are you comfortable with your 8 year old playing football?

I ask because I played and I love the sport as does my son but I really don't want him to get involved. Between hockey and football I think it's just a lot of risk.
It’s a pretty fair question. At some point, we had decided that it would be either hockey or football for our boy, and he had already been playing hockey so hockey it was. I just feel like that’s a lot of contact sports.

I’m definitely not judging anyone as my knowledge of the subject matter is very unsophisticated. Although it doesn’t appear to be true at the pro level, I feel like concussion risk is maybe higher in hockey? My boy has been a little on the shorter side so seems much of the contact occurs near his head. He has had one concussion and one that probably was.

I believe the good parenting and coaching occurs once the young athlete sustains a concussion. How quickly is it properly diagnosed and how do you deal with it are what counts IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: