View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Is there an option to only use the renters insurance, and not your own personal insurance on it?
No, do not buy Turo insurance or insurance through a rental company. Heck, do not purely rely on the rental insurance on your credit car either as the fine print might really piss you off. And why be at the mercy of some other party's insurance? It's such a PITA if something happens.

https://infoassurance.ca/en/blog/Con...sement-27.aspx

Don't pay extra for Turo insurance unless you do not own a vehicle in general. Add an SEF 27 clause to your vehicle insurance instead. It is like $30-40 a year to add to most existing vehicle insurance policies. Contrary to what most insurance brokers will claim (SEF 27 = rental car clause) it's supposed to be more powerful and inclusive than that and should be useful on any car you operate that is not yours. This includes rental cars, cars you borrow (friends, family etc.), courtesy cars and I believe even test driving a car at a dealership (which the dealership claims they cannot insure which I think is BS to scare you).

The thing about the SEF 27 clause is also that it's more flexible than many other specific features out there. If you borrow a friend's vehicle and there's an at fault collision that's your fault, you can use your friend's insurance first which covers their car normally, and if there's extra, you might be able to kick in your SEF 27 for the difference. I also believe that if there's other insurance and it's being a PITA, you might be able to kick in the SEF 27 on yours first and then try and sort it out later (ie: Credit card "insurance" that's refusing to do anything).

I don't know how much Turo insurance is, but I assume it's on par with regular rental company insurance. SEF 27 is cheap as hell at $30-40 per year and more powerful than rental insurance. IIRC, regular car rentals charge like $10 a day for insurance, so not only is SEF 27 better and easier to utilize, it's likely cheaper. I've also seen situations where rental insurance covers only the vehicle you rented and not damage to other things. SEF 27 shouldn't have this issue IIRC.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: