Thread: Mortgage Broker
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #58
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

But then again I'm not a mortgage professional. Do mortgage brokers get paid differently whether they sell fixed vs. variable?
You're right, no one knows when rates are going to go up. However, the majority are expecting late 2015, early 2016, like I said. Of course there is more inherent risk with a variable mortgage, which is why they are debt serviced accordingly at the BOC benchmark rate of 4.79%. Slightly higher risk, but can be high reward as well. Again, even if (and this is a big if) prime all of a sudden went up to 3.75%, you're still on par with current fixed rates. You can then lock into a fixed rate at for the remaining term, or continue with the variable. I cannot see prime making that big of a jump instantaneously.

Keep in mind that a variable rate can be locked into a fixed at any point in time. Part of my job is to make sure clients are fully aware of what they're getting into. If debt servicing is really tight and I don't think clients could handle a variable rate, then I may lean them towards a fixed mortgage. Again, it's client specific. That's what I love about being in the broker channel, I have a wide array of options and products. I would never put a client in a product such as the all in one I speak so highly of if I don't think they're responsible enough financially either. (Or if the significant other isn't responsible enough with all the accessible equity! )

At the end of the day, if I don't place my clients in a suitable product, it's going to look bad on me, and obviously is not how I want to build my business.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 10-16-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Deleted rate details.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post: