View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Charging for quotes & estimates

Is this a new thing? I've had two instances in the last few months where I needed to bring in a professional to work on my house. One was for replacing a hot water boiler, the second - today - I need someone to look at a toilet that isn't draining water from the bowl well.

Both times when calling around for quotes I get met with 'we quote when we're on site. On site visits cost $xx.xx'. Basically, we have no possible idea how much it could possibly cost to replace a hot water tank. We need to see it. Then we can charge whatever we want because we're there, you paid for us to be there, and you might as well go through with it.

I feel this is an incredibly scummy way to do business. I'm self employed and have a rate sheet I devised that will cover 99% of the jobs I will get. Want to hire me? I give a quote, we go from there. Why are these trades any different? Is this the way things are going or is just select companies? Or am I totally out of whack to think they should know a basic cost to plunge a toilet?

/rant. Know any good plumbers?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote