View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #91
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
1. Playing back in your net is appropriate sometimes, when you expect to need to move laterally

2. I didn’t read the Haynes article where he broke down every goal. 2 questions
- is that actually a problem that Haynes had as a takeaway with Smith? I can recall bad goals 5 hole (no change to pads this year), glove side between pad and glove, bad rebound punched out by the blocker right to an opponent, etc.
- even if Smith did have trouble with the chest protector, why are his numbers so much worse than every other goalie in the league?
No, that is just me loosely classifying them as I saw it.

I'm not so sure about the hockey pants, but goalies across the league needed to get accustomed to the chest protector in the early season. There were a bunch of high-scoring games. Even Rittich looked confused on how the 3rd goal against Montreal snuck in.

As for Smith playing too far back in his net, it isn't a confidence issue. When he joined the Flames there was mention of him being a bigger guy and not needing to challenge so much to fill out the net. This is his playstyle, similar to Lundqvist. Jonathan Quick would be an example of the opposite playstyle.

Unfortunately even if he is 'square' to the shooter and ready for a shot, if the puck comes at him anywhere other than center mass, he has to stretch for it. That cost him in the Anaheim game (huge rebound off a weak 50ft wrister) and against San Jose on Kane's goal (far post and in).