View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #14016
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mean, we've got 2-3 kids in the minors that are more than ready for their shot with the big club (Andersson, Kylington and Valimaki could be ready) coupled with the UFA pickup this week I think its very clear Calgary will be doing SOMETHING in the trade department that's specific to defense for offence.

If we're not going to trade current top 6 defenseman for forward scoring help then what does that say to the young kids in the system? Calgary historically is never really keen on giving young kids the chance to run with it for a season, we usually bring in a cagey old vet rather than "gift" the spot to a young guy out of camp.

Personally I feel this has to change, and maybe it will with Burke gone from the organization now. These kids are ready to either make it or break it, we wont know until they are a given a fair look.

I'm all for trading Brodie or Stone or Hamilton or even 2 out of the 3 if it secures us BETTER assets on the front line and allows us to bring up 1-2 kids from the farm that have shown thus far they are ready to compete with the big club.

If were not going to do that, then were forced to trade these young assets for forward help and I personally believe you need young prospects on your team to allow yourself the cap to push for a cup, most of these playoff contenders have 5-6 homegrown "rookies" in the lineup any given night, they aren't full of cagey UFA's or stacked with a top 6 defense core filled with players all making above 4M a season, its just not plausible in today's game.