View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #48
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Umm, the NASL is suing the USSF? What's the coles notes on that one?

I was about to ask why they wouldn't just keep playing until the CPL launches, and then switch, but I suppose the answer lies in my first question.
I'm not sure there is a coles notes version of the story, but NASL believes USSF is colluding with MLS to ensure that that they could not match Division 1 standards in the US. NASL also believe that MLS and USL are colluding to put them out of business. They believe this to be the case even though they have never fully met Division 2 standards and have been granted exceptions every year since they formed.

The latest news is that USSF and NASL were going to reach a settlement that would allow NASL to remain as a Division 2 league, but NASL believed USSF changed the parameters of the settlement and backed out. NASL was nearly dead last offseason, and is all but dead now. San Francisco won the title this year (with a Canadian head coach and 4 Canadian starters), and promptly folded two days later. North Carolina has moved to USL and FC Edmonton have now left. Puerto Rico are likely to fold due to the hurricane.

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/1...ment-unravels/

The more I think about the FC Edmonton article I linked yesterday, the more I am convinced they are dead. I've talked with some of the supporters in Edmonton and they believe the same. If the club had announced they were ceasing operations due to the NASL instability, that is one thing. But to have the owner come out and say it's an easy decision to make due to the lack of support in the stands and from corporate Edmonton is a very dire message to give. As for how this would affect the CPL, I think it is a big blow as FC Edmonton were the poster boy for showing that soccer outside of MLS could have a measure of stability, and would have been the most established club in the league. But then again, other supporters have told me they have been assured FC Edmonton will be there when CPL launches, so I don't know.

Also, I've heard more second hand info about a Calgary bid, including more info about their ownership group (which I am sworn to secrecy on who they are, but again it's not the Flames), and that the group wants to build a new modular stadium in Calgary. Also, at their awards dinner last weekend, Calgary Foothills also announced "they would be a part of a big announcement in the spring", so that leads me to believe it is CPL. I'm still trying to get together with Tommy to get more inside info but he's a busy man.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote