View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #6549
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
No love for Ovi?

What is the criteria to make one Generational?
Matthews rookie year he had 40 Goals, 29 Assists, 69 Pts
Eichel has had 2 seasons, 24-32-56 and 24-33-57 (only 62gp)
Laine rookie year was 36-28-64
Mcdavid has 2 years, 16-32-48 (45 gp) and 30-70-100

So, if you're in the 55+ pt club with high draft pedigree at a young age you get generational consideration?
why not Johnny? cuz he was a 4th round pick?
Johnny 24-40-64 rookie year puts him in the mix, so does his 30-48-78 2nd year...

But back to Ovi...
Rookie year: 52-54-106
Crosby Rookie year: 39-63-102

Ovi has scored 50 or more goals in 7 of 12 seasons.
Crosby has done it once.
Ovi has had 100 or more points in 4 of 12 seasons.
Crosby has 5 seasons of 100 or more points.

Ovechkin has more regular season points than Crosby in the same amount of seasons. Yes more games played, due to Crosby's injuries, but still, he has more.
So i find it odd that you can say there is only 1 Generational player in the league, and it is only Crosby, but there's 4 young guys now, that have proven nothing compared to Ovi, that could be, or have the potential to be.
Again I was describing generational potential. At this point AO isn't about potential, he is what he is.
And for me he's not generational at all. Zero cups. And doesn't elevate his teammates like generational players do.
He's absolutely elite in one area of the game - goals. Generational players are elite in multiple facets.
Plus he's a goof.

Similarly Johnny is elite in a narrow set of skills. A front line player but not complete enough to be generational or have the potential of that. His upside is Patty Kane - who I don't consider to be generational.