View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #3170
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Executive Producer (simplified) implies that he was a financial concern, and important in getting a project off the ground and greenlit. I give JJ a lot of credit in doing this for some really good projects, especially on the tv side.

When he is simply announced as a producer, it implies a more creative role on decision making and hiring. The only time this has been a successful part of his resume, as far as I can see, is when he did the MI movies, and Cruise is a control nut.

As a writer, he is at best mediocre, and I only really liked Joy Ride as a fun movie. As a director, he is a creative disaster.

The more creative control he is given, the more the project is problematic. If he is a producer, it's fair to say that the film will likely be mediocre, unless a strong personality is put in the directors seat, and JJ stays far away from writing credit. I'd wait for the rest of the above the line crew list before prognosticating, though.