View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #260
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
That tweet is somewhat misleading, IMO. As far as I know, all 737 MAX operators were briefed on MCAS after the Lion Air crash, not just the ones that purchased the AoA indicators and/or AoA disagree lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder if having that light and indicator would have made much difference though? They may have considered hey, this sensor must be giving a false reading, but without knowing about MCAS, would that warning light have given them the info the needed to save the plane? I'm not sure it would have changed the outcome.
No way to know, really.

Maybe in the case of ET302 (because Ethiopian Airlines claims that their pilots were briefed and trained on MCAS) the AoA disagree light might have made a difference, but given that the flight crew's experience has been called into question, it's hard to say that for sure.

That also assumes that a faulty AoA sensor or MCAS receiving erroneous AoA data is what caused ET302 to crash. While that's definitely the working theory, it hasn't been officially established as the cause.

But you're right, in the case of Lion Air, if they didn't know that MCAS even existed, I don't know if it would have made any difference. Unless the disagree light would make them clue into the fact that the trim wheel was spinning over and over (easy to miss in the heat of the moment, and the trim wheel spins a lot even in normal flight).

Like I said, there's no way to know. But one thing you can be reasonably certain of is that when the MAX does fly again, every pilot and their dog is going to know about MCAS, and if they ever see the "AoA disagree" light come on, they're instantly going to check the stabilizer trim.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote