View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 04:13 PM   #6045
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A bit disjointed and lacking energy and cohesion. I think Biello's plan to play both Eustáquio and Koné so high was a bit of a risk but I understand that we needed to pin them back.

This team looks and feels quite different from the team in WCQ two years ago. There isn't quite the same energy or ruthlessness in front of goal, IMO. We plodded at times in those qualifying games as well but we had individual performances that broke games open. I was at the home game in Toronto vs Panama and that was similar to today (granted, against a much better opponent) in that we struggled to break them down and finish when we did create chances. But then Davies stepped up with that memorable goal and we went on to devastate them. The home games against Costa and Rica and the US were similar but we had those gamebreaking moments. That's what's lacking now.

It was very encouraging to see Russell-Rowe and especially Shaffelburg come off the bench and have a strong impact.

The Copa America is going to be excellent to see what this team can do. Obviously we'll be underdogs but playing on the counter will suit us and provide the test we need leading up to 2026.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post: