View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Hey all,

Thanks again for everyone's help that led me into the direction of my purchase. All laptops suggested help me figure out what would be perfect for her.

Unrelated to the current laptop discussions as that poster needs are different, but to the laptop I bought just would like to give it 5 stars (yoga 13, i5 processor with 8GB of ram, got it for $999 plus tax, can't find that deal anymore however, closer to $1200 now).

I stayed away from hybrids as I found generally you get less specs for $$ when compared to laptops as you are paying for the hybrid technology (whether that’s the fact the device can bend or they have to cram parts into different areas of the laptop). However, I had picked out a laptop for her, and nearly bought it, when I saw this one which had better specs for $100 more, plus the hybrid ability with a touchscreen, so it became a no-brainer.

This thing is really nifty. She loves the hybrid ability of a laptop/ tablet that runs full windows 8, not RT.

I compared it to surface pro and it just seems a better computer for the price you pay overall, however, I think it is heavier.

Other than one online review from a person who could not find anything nice to say about it, I have read pretty much nothing but good things and tend to agree.

Some cons
- touchscreen the old time takes a couple swipes, if you had a screen protector this might make it worse
-Battery life doesn't compete with a tablet
-One of the most common concerns, which is true - this thing is too heavy for a tablet and the 13" screen size makes it impossible for your fingers to each across when holding it in tablet form on either side.

Other than the battery life and touchscreen minor sensitivity issues, the other cons are not really a problem, as this isn't a tablet, it is a laptop running 8 GB or ram and an I5. She wanted a laptop, with a 13" screen size or larger, so the fact your fingers can't reach across when holding it from the side doesn't really matter.

As for the weight, compared to my MSI gaming laptop, or my old Dell Insiprion (8 years old), this thing is a feather. Compared to a tablet, it is a little heavy, but it isn't a tablet.

One last thing, only 128 GB SSD, however, there is an extra slot you can install another SSD. As you need to open it up, and the how do online methods seem over my head, memory express said they could do it for $50 to $100. My plan here is to wait till she needs the room then buy a 256 gb SSD, or hopefully prices have come down even more for larger ones.

Thank you all so much again!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote