View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #117
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Has anyone had experience with or know anyone who's bought "certified open box/refurbished TV's off BestBuy.ca? Looks they are endorsed by the geek squad.

My first intuition is to steer clear and just get something new, but there's some intrigue in it being supported by a major electronics outlet along with a 1 year warranty. There's some pretty heavy discounts in there and they all claim to be basically new condition.
IMO, open box/display models are no problem. Refurb though, that's not something I would roll the dice on. Refurbs have awful warranty restrictions that IMO are not worth it and it's easy for a tech to figure out whether a unit is a refurb.

Open box and display units though? I love those and target those as much as possible. They're just the normal units with a damn nice discount because it's not pristine from the manufacturer. You're going to open and use it anyways. You get a head start to see if any issues arise and thus are better situated to use the manufacturer's warranty if you unlucky with the unit you end up with. You essentially can get a repair to new/replacement situation before the typical "time to replace the tv" phase. This essentially potentially extends the life of the TV for a slightly longer duration and you get a discount on a ubiquitous unit in the product line.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote