View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #1012
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Looking to re-org my hardware a bit. Wondering if you guys think a tiny pc i have would be worth using.... I got this several years ago: https://www.newegg.com/zotac-zbox-b-...tent-_-text-_-

I also upgraded the ram to 6gb. Would that run ok as a plex server? So far I have just used chromecasts on the 3 tvs. I am just testing out a roku so I can finally cord cut, so that would be in the future plans as well potentially. In the short term we might add a 4th tv, but odds of more than 2 being used at a time are slim as well.

Let me know your thoughts. The source files are mp4. I have used the chromecast setting on handbrake to downsize the mkvs.

Let me know if theres any other info needed! Thanks in advance!
That CPU will struggle any time it needs to transcode or play multiple streams that aren’t SMB protocol. I would look at upgrading as you will probably not be happy with the performance of that CPU in the near future. That chip pulls about 1400 on passmark. Without transcoding that CPU would hold its own just like a Pi3 does but the second it had to transcode fun would end.

If you want to look at performance the “suggestion” is a passmark score of 2000 for every 1080p transcoded stream. Even low range current i3 processors score above 9000 which is more than enough. Here is what Plex themselves suggest.

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201...for-my-server/