View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #333
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This is the part that I have a problem with. These folks are NOT property owners. They own a house that they have put on SOMEONE ELSE'S property. The entity who owns that property has decided to do something else with it. This is not the problem of the actual property owner.
I get that. And maybe I'm wrong. But they were paying "property tax" on their "property". While property rights are not ensured in the charter, I believe they should be. When the city expropriates land, they don't want or need the houses that are sitting on the land. Real estate has two valuations. The actual land...and the improvements on the land. The city pays people for both. Some houses are just as mobile as mobile homes. The others? Oh well. 10k would cover putting a two story house in a dumpster just as easy as a double wide mobile home. Obviously people think this is a stupid argument but ultimately the result for the actual people is exactly the same...stress, and trauma and an unfair position in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
And that'll open the City to lawsuit after lawsuit from the people that followed the instructions and left properly with all the notifications that they received over the years. It'll also set the precedent for the future to allow people to disregard similar situations (maybe even squat) and instructions from the city for payouts.
It wouldn't be a legally binding decision. There would be no precedent or tort at all. In fact the city has already mandated compensation from developers for redeveloping an occupied trailer park. Obviously no precedent resulted from that. And honestly, a lot of people in that park got fair market value for their homes. 10k is the going rate around town for a junker. But yeah, the city would have to write a lot of checks to make people whole. And that would have been the deal of the century for the city had they done it 12 years ago.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote