View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #2337
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
Though I agree with you, there has also been a lot of examples of players whiffing on grade A scoring chances after being set up by Bennett, especially early in the season, when he couldn't get a point out of a great play even if his life depended on it. The fact that James Neal can't score any goals despite shooting the puck at a decent clip has also been detrimental to Bennetts totals. He's not exactly what we thought he would be, but he also ralely has any puck luck. Maybe that's just the way it is and will be with him, or maybe he will power through it and start getting his totals up a bit. I guess we'll see.
Yeah I think we've heard about Sam Bennett's snake bitten bad luck for years now. He's either the unluckiest player in the NHL or he is what he is at this point. He's had a long look on the 2nd line, ample time playing with a terrific playmaker in Tkachuk and enough time on the powerplay to develop a reliable opinion what he is.

I still think he plays the game too much like a flashy junior player who tries to beat NHL level defenders one on one too often. I don't think that's his game IMO. Personally, I'd like to see him hold on to the puck less, dump the puck in, forecheck, grind along the boards and win puck battles. I like his game along the cycle and his tenacity serves him well down low.

The goal he scored yesterday while driving the net and getting into the dirty areas is exactly the type of goal I think he can score a lot of at this level. If Sam Bennett develops more upper body strength/weight, then I think he could develop more into a power forward. If he starts working on screening goaltenders and tipping pucks at practice like Tkachuk, then I think that's the kind of net front presence that would be very beneficial for this team going into the playoffs.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote