View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #13
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Washington Capitals waited very patiently for the draft. Draft day arrived and I still didn't know who I liked best. The group of players in the top 7 or 8 were so close that we could have any of them and feel okay.

Finally it began and Cheese kicked it off with Power.

#2 - Brandt Clarke - D - Skilled offensive player with size, skating and a right shot. It was a tough decision between Clarke and Eklund and Guenther. I think he can really turn into a top 1-3 D with PP time without being a liability on the ice. Dont like picking D so high but I think his potential is extremely high if he gets there. Capitals need this pick to pan out as the Franchise needs to take many steps towards contenting and I think with Clarke we can do that.

#7 Kent Johnson - C - Will most likely be a winger at the next level but his puck skills and offensive ability makes us happy to get him. He needs to gain some strength and size to get to the pro level. Was hoping for Guenther to fall to us but knew it was unlikely with Minny picking so many times around us.

#28 Xavier Bourgault - C - Offensive playmaker from the Q. Not the biggest player but an offensive player who we think can translate his offence to the NHL level. Hoping he continues to develop and produce. Was super excited to see him still sitting on the board as we thought he might have been drafted by the time it got to us.

#35 Olen Zellweger - D - Undersized offensive skating defenseman who will be a gamble to make an impact the NHL level. We had Ayrton Martino or Francesco Pinelli who we wanted here but since Knut took him 1 pick before us we had to scramble to find another player. We are happy with his upside so we decided to swing for it.

Capitals waited around after this pick to see if anyone wanted to trade a 2021 3rd for a 2022 3rd. It didnt happen as we couldnt find a dance partner. Capitals had a very limited amount of ECHL spots so we decided to stay disciplined and not have a bunch of late picks.

Thanks Scorp, Jiri for running the draft and all else who participated. Super fun times maybe we should do something like this for the trade deadline.

Last edited by BagoPucks; 07-17-2021 at 08:10 PM.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post: