View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Post 2021 Draft Recaps

This thread is intended for GMs to post an assessment of their draft hauls. Feel free to brag!

New York Islanders

18 — Logan Stankoven. Really wanted this player, especially after Coronato went at 14 to Minnesota. I love Stankoven's upside and I would have been ok with taking him as high as pick 12. He's undersized but dynamic and a fantastic goal-scorer. Actually outscored Connor Zary at even-strength in 2019–20.

55 — Conner Roulette. Was definitely interested in Daniil Chayka if he fell to us but was super happy to pick up Roulette, who's projected as a high second-rounder by some outlets. Another really great scorer from the Dub.

62 — Samuel Helenius. Towering guy, 6'6". Already pretty productive in the Liiga and moves well for his size. Wouldn't have picked him any higher but thought he was great value in the third round.

69 — Red Savage. Fantastic production with the USNTDP. Really thrilled to get him at 69, wasn't sure if he'd be available that low. Best name in the draft. Undersized but very flashy, extremely high potential.

74 — Colton Dach. Kirby's little brother. Point-per-game with the Blades in the WHL. Another really big guy, which isn't normally what I seek but when you're that productive... hard to pass. Dach is a projected second-rounder by some sources.

79 — Sean Tschigerl. Very promising winger who led the Calgary Hitmen with 13 goals in just 21 games this season. Figured he might be on other people's radars so I took him a little higher than I otherwise might've... but he's also projected by some to go in the second round.

90 — Trevor Wong. Small but very skilled and productive. Elite Prospects projects him as a high second-rounder. Needs to bulk up a bit but has so much to like about his game. I thought he was fantastic value in the fourth round.

96 — Matvei Petrov. Another guy who is projected by some to go in the second round. Very, very productive in the MHL this year. 6'2" with a great shot and offensive instincts.

110 — Robert Orr. September 2003 birthday makes him one of the youngest players in the entire draft. Again, another guy ranked by some to go in the second round. Good production for a young guy in the Q, 32 points in 41 games. 5'11" and relentless.

120 — Justin Janicke. Very young 2003 birthday with impressive production at the USNTDP. Again, another guy ranked by some to go in the second round. Was really happy when he dropped to me in the fifth. He's a tenacious, good-sized forward.

124 — Dmitri Katelevsky. FC Hockey has Katelevsky ranked in the second round. Really good production at a young age in the VHL, Russia's second-tier professional league. Great two-way forward who represented great value for me that low.

128 — Jimi Suomi. First defenseman I took in the draft. Small (5'10") PP QB-type. Most Finnish name imaginable. Terrific production in both the U-20 Liiga and the U-18s. Ranked by some in the third round.

132 — Avery Hayes. Maybe a reach but I had an advisor tell me to pick this guy. Older prospect but good production with the Hamilton Bulldogs as a D-1 in 2019–20, so mildly surprised Doug didn't take him. Smaller right-shot forward.

138 — Tyson Galloway. Another defenseman, this one from the Hitmen. Big left-shot guy who had good production (9 points in 17 games) in the shortened season. 6'4", 214 pounds, solid skater.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: