View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
There are so many things here I disagree with I don't even know where to start.

I'll stick to facts though.

She is supporting a $40M affordable housing initiative on 20th Ave and 6th St NW. In a city that has a huge amount of rental properties and apartments...how is this a good use of money.

Why don't we think a little smarter and try to help fill rental properties throughout the city before blowing $40M on an initiative like this.

I can't stand her and 95% of what comes out of her mouth, so thanks for speaking for me that she represents my community well. No she does not.
I’m not speaking for you.

I’m not sure what you disagree with in my post as you disagreeing with affordable housing being an unmet need in Calgary and you disagreeing with 95% of what she says does not change anything about my statement.

Which more or less was two things

1)she represents her ward well. She pushes for densification and for revitalization and investment into the inner city. This benefits her ward through increased land values and ensures sprawl doesn’t destroy the long term cost structure of the city. Regardless of your position on the other issues Druh centric policies increase inner city land values and livability.

2) her wacky positions are supported by 7% of the Calgary pop. I can’t prove this but I think most ideas polled garner this minimal level of support so I’m confident in saying even her dumbest ideas have support relative to her vote in council.

That she continues to get elected shows that a large portion of residents agree with her positions though some of that is due to incumbency and vote splitting. For a person who is as outspoken as she is and who is as different from the city “typical” view as she is to continue to get re-elected also demonstrates the value the people in her ward find her.

How would you approach affordable housing? It seems a really odd thing to be annoyed about. One option could be to Subsidize private owners to rent at below market rates is an interesting approach but in hot markets it becomes more and more expensive to maintain supply.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: