View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes Put On A Mean Face
Evaluating is always a misleading affair, if you nap the star then your delivered your team a great draft… But in the CPHL that isn’t always true. What often goes unmentioned or unnoticed is the quality of picks compared to the quantity of picks. The CPHL Edmonton Oilers were build off the great draft of a previous GM, but lets be honest, it’s pretty easy to shoot a fish in a barrel if you’re using a AK 47 and in the CPHL it’s not uncommon to see a team stocked with 4 of the top ten picks or 8 of the top 50.

The Carolina Hurricanes walked into the 2010 CPHL draft holding two shots to make his mark and land that fish. Unfortunately the ‘Canes had his sights set on two players that won't light up the league and in truth won't be great fantasy picks. But the Hurricanes this year drafted by strength and not need while putting aside the notion and excitement of trying to land the big WOW player. With Regehr, Komisarek, Whitney, Barcker, Sarich and Greene in the CPHL and with Alzner, Ellis, Sanguinetti on the way up through the ranks... The Hurricanes went out and added Dylan McIlrath and Jarred Tinorti to round out the lot to ensure that the Hurricanes will be stocked at blueline for a long time.

After the Hurricanes secured their two punishing defenders, the war room hot excited again when with their 45th overall pick came that Jared Knight from the London Knights was still on the board... a player I didn't think we had a shot at and feared might slip into the first round. After that the only thing remaining for the draft was how high of a pick was the organization going to use to draft Brody Sutter and become the 3rd Sutter to be drafted by the 'Canes (Brett and Shawn)

At 6’4 and 210 pounds, he has the frame to be a menacing figure at the NHL level. His mobility and footwork are impressive, considering his size. At times he can lose his man, but not without trying to take his head off. He flat out intimidates with his style of play and is always trying to assert himself physically. McIlrath can contain forwards in all areas of the ice, especially down low. McIlrath needs to work on his puck skills as he handles it like a grenade. He fails to find his options and relies primarily on the ‘glass and out’ approach. He does, however, have a great slap shot. McIlrath is a work in progress but oozes character and fulfills a role many NHL teams will covet.

Tinordi is a great complementary defense partner for a smaller, offensive-minded defender. He can stay with plays, make good outlet passes and bodyguard when necessary

Did not draft in the 1st round, sold my picks off because I couldn't see well enough to keep up and I didn't want to slow it down
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: