View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

BLOODLINES

Thanks to Kris and Grant for the great job of running this years draft, it's tough enough to draft for ones self that I couldn't imagine running the draft also great job.

I may have picked my selections a lot sooner then I should but in the end I thought it was best to make sure I had the players I really wanted

#4 Overall - C Sam Gagner, London Knights (OHL)

Gagner helps replenish a big hole in the Hurricanes organization, his playmaking abilities and pure hockey sense just couldn't be passed over in the draft. For the Hurricanes it was a tough decision Kane - Gagner or Gagner - Kane. Lucky enough, Gagner fell in the draft enough that the Hurricanes quickly changed from the player they had targeted and gladly welcomed the Oakville native. One of the reasons we had him so highly regarded with Kane and we feel is a little overlooked is that Gagner is 9 months younger then his fellow teammate. In the end it was also nice to be able to add a son of a former Flame within the organization.

#9 Overall - C Angelo Esposito, Quebec (QMJHL)

High risk, high reward or is it a risk?. Esposito brings great skating and solid scoring ability. Although his stock has dropped of from expectation I wonder if it's a case of a player being blamed for scouts putting to high of expectations on him. Once again like with the Gagner pick the 'Canes were forced to abandon their slotted selection for a player that they just didn"t think would be around still.

#29 Overall - C Center Maxime Tanguay, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Learning a lesson from previous drafts (Guillaume Latendresse), if you like a player then draft him regardless where you think he'll fall. Like with Gagner and Esposito Tanguay brings a high level of skill. With only Brad Boyes on the big team and Derick Brassard maturing in the system the Hurricanes were looking to address a big time need. I was looking to draft Maxime deeper in the draft through a trade but once the players I had slotted for 29th and 34th were selected it was just a case of either taking some risk and having a free couple picks to progress some players or just go ahead and bump our next two picks up regardless of placement In the end I just thought it wasn't worth risking leaving the another Flame bloodline hanging in the draft.

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 06-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: