Thread: DDPYoga
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #60
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Geez what’s the hate for “real” yoga. I had a serious knee injury last summer and phiso therapist recommended I try yoga to supplement my recovery. I took a month intro class at Yoga Santosha on 4th Street. The studio is in my building and I just kind of thought what the hell, why not? The intro course was amazing and I ended up loving the practice. I now go to classes roughly 5 times a week and I’m going to step it up every day by doing classes first thing in the morning.

Since starting I’ve lost quite a bit of weight, dramatically seen an increase in the strength in my shoulders, much better flexibility, less aching pain in my joints, sleep like a baby, and just overall well being. At first I didn’t really care for the spiritual side of the practice (om’s, meditation, breathing exercises, etc) but eventually it grew on me. Now I find myself, more calm, focused, and much less stressed, and these are benefits that I’ve never seen from just normal workouts.

I don’t know much about DDP and later on this year when I try to put on a bit more muscle I may look at it but don’t dismiss normal yoga at a studio, it is fantastic.
It really depends on the studio that you go to. For instance,I have done yoga through p90x so I thought I had a decent handle on it prior to trying out hot yoga for the first time. I tried hot yoga at "Breath" studio near 130 ave. The class was great, however, at the end of the class, the instructor announced that the class was finished and that everyone should just lie down and "become one with yourself". I didn't have time for this due to an upcoming appt and proceeded to pack up my mat. Then, I got chastised in front of the whole class by this instructor for packing up before she officially dismissed the class. Needless to say, I've never been back to that studio.

There is some snobbery associated with these certain studios and instructors. That's why these follow along dvds are a no-brainer for a lot of people.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote