View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #368
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
HDMI! Do I need to worry about this if I get that monitor? All I know about HDMI is it's a new type of connection that is suppose to be better at transmitting HD content. I have no idea what the difference is between S-Video and HDMI. There is also something called Composite, which I am assuming is the Red/Yellow/White plugs? (Red for video, Yellow/White for left and right sound.)

When you use that S-Video instead of HDMI, do you lose any quality? And can you do full 1080p without actually using an HDMI cable?
Here is the order connections by quality.
Best first:

1. HDMI - gives a video and audio HD digital connection and as far as I know is always HDCP compliant.

2. DVI - gives a video HD digital connection and is often HDCP compliant. It is the same quality video as HDMI.
This combined with a Toslink cable to your stereo will give you high quality digital audio.

3. D-sub (VGA) - this is the normal or old connection on many computer monitors and video cards and is on many new TVs as well. It sends a HD video signal but is not HDCP compliant and is analogue.

4. Component - this also can send a HD video signal but is not HDCP and is analogue. On my TV, this looks as good as HDMI but your milage may vary.

5. S-video - this is the best non HD connection and can only send a 480i picture as compared to HD which is 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. It is video only.

6. Composite - this is the red and white (sound) and yellow (video) connection and is also 480i.

7. Co-axial - this is the normal cable feed coming into your house. RG59 is the cheapest grade. RG60 is required for satellite connections and should be recommended for all your household needs. Also when buying this cable, look for compression connections. It is video and audio.

I may have missed something but off the top of my head, that's it.

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-11-2007 at 04:53 PM.