View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #3674
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
WWE is doubling and tripling down on things wrestling fans don't want to see but what non-wrestling fans think wrestling is.

For the first time in my over 25 years of watching professional wrestling, I am pretty close to watching zero wwe/wwf product. Almost all the guys I really want to see are now in AEW and I am not going to tune in for the short clips of New Day/Mcyntire etc because they're being booked like garbage. I don't think AEW's booking is all that much better, but if everyone I want to see is there, then, well yeah.
I don't disagree with any of that.

But if you think about what the wwe is doing now (other than the terrible booking) is that they are cleaning house on the older guys. For example, although I think it was terrible creatively to promote the hell out of Black for weeks only to cut him a week after his debut, he's 36 years old. If they wanted to push him, he'd be competing with other 36 year olds who are already over in the WWE.

For months I've been saying that NXT has been by far the better product over RAW and Smackdown. However, having said that, how many of the guys in NXT were in their mid-20's? Almost none. And that's the issue. NXT was supposed to be the farm system for the RAW and SmackDown brands, but it failed miserably at that goal because if talent was brought up to the main roster, many of them would only have 2-3 years....and that's only if they could get over on the main roster.

When the Rock and Foley and Austin were in their prime they were in their late 20's or early 30's. The guys in the current farm system are just too old. I don't mean that they're not still talented, I just mean that their window is sooooo much smaller to make a significant impact at that age.

And I think that's what the WWE sees too.

The WWE has always created stars on their own, but they have a gap here now in talent (age wise) and they need to really focus on developing young talent instead of holding onto ones that may only get a couple more years in the spotlight.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote