View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #401
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's just one of many steps. Nobody thinks this is where it ends.

I mentioned it before, but I really do want more of a roadmap of what we're in for to make amends for this. I'm not into my eventual grandkids continuing an unending atonement process. I'd rather do it all now once we know what will make this right. If it's a forever-process of atonement without an end goal, my vote is we do absolutely nothing. Like if it won't work, let's not go to the expense and effort of it all.

First option is to right the wrong, though, but only if we'll get a, "thank you, it is time to move forward and leave the past behind us" at the end.
I do not think this is possible to have a one time thank you. More situations will crop up and it will go on and on. And who is the decider of what's a wrong and what isn't in the future. So I think we're doing nothing.

Let's take two simplistic comparisons. Indigenous in Canada and Blacks in the US. Both wronged groups in history.

Let's move up to 1960. Civil rights to America, blacks segregated, given more rights. Indigenous in Canada still in residential schools, still on their reserves.

So since 1960, how much have both groups advanced (if at all) and at what point is it past the point of guilt and apology? Blacks have advanced tremendously in 60 years but there's still work to be done, there's still systemic problems. I'm not sure Indigenous in Canada have advanced at all, which is really sad.

So if we have a civil rights movement in Canada, I'm not even sure what that means, and in 60 years, Indigenous in Canada get to around where blacks in American are now... as Sam Harris puts it, Blacks have advanced to the 20-yard line. What happens then? Is that enough? Do indigenous people in 2080 want more? Are they denouncing Canada? Is there a Indigenous Lives Matter wanting another flag and national anthem at CFL games? Is Sliver's grandchild still apologizing? What's happens? What is enough?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote