View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #110
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
On bears and predation, one should keep in mind that they have a natural instinct to chase (similar to dogs). They may not be out looking for prey, but if they see another animal running by them, it can trigger their instinct to chase and pounce. Going running on a trail where there is a good chance of running into bears isn't a good idea in general. You are essentially enticing them. They may not be looking for food at the moment, but the actions trigger adrenaline and hormonal surges that they can't resist easily.
Exactly.

That's why you see all those videos of bears chasing snowboarders and bikers circulating. It's instinctual for them.

Reminds me of this nice big dog of an old acquaintance when I was younger. He was well behaved with people when you were sitting down or facing him/interacting with him. The moment we would start running around the yard though it's like a switch would flip in his head and he would chase us aggressively, and chomp at our sides or arms.

This is why I think if you're going to go trail running, it would be wise to stick to busy trails with other human deterrents.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: