View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #1903
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
He was ill but he's making the rounds again with a new book. Beyond Order: 12 More Rules. I think like anything, he's got outdated and he's does have some bad takes. He can't get past the religion stuff and he generalizes a lot. He tried to debate Sam Harris, didn't go well.

Myself, I've never viewed Peterson as having great views but if his books or videos can help young men, that's not a bad thing. The criticism of him 'raising white men from the ashes to be evil' was always done in poor taste.

He was recently on Megyn Kelly's show (I know I've been mentioning her alot) and I think she clearly wins this discussion. He tried his "women are too agreeable" schtick with her and she wouldn't have any of it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000515455248
You are correct. I listened to the audiobook of 12 rules then returned it.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned he was a campaigning member of the Alberta NDP and grew up with Rachel Notley.

In his book he talks about a really great friend he had throughout adolescence and adulthood from Fairview. Based on what he writes about his person, in his view he would progressively get into anti-establishment ideas or what Peterson would call “the radical left.” It came to a point where this person committed suicide.

From my perspective on him, he’s suffering the ill effects of this trauma along with all other traumatic experiences his witnesses in clinical practice. He also details his daughters autoimmune disorder which again is traumatic.

He basically takes his knowledge, understanding, and experiences in academic and clinical psychology and bastardizes them to give himself intellectual license and authority on a whole range of topics which he has an astounding level of ignorance.

I recently came across Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers PBS series/discussion on the power of Myth.

Joseph Campbell did deep work on myths in all cultures. I found it really interesting because he really explore the universality of sport in all culture and how it is profoundly useful to enable the relatively safe release of adolescent aggression as people mature into adults.

Jordan Peterson takes similar understanding and uses them in random, sporadic, disorganized, and strange ways to write books that exercise his own demons.

12 rules? Why?

His work has some value because he has legitimate practical experience in helping people through this work. But he is downright weird at times when he goes off on rants about Elmo or any number of Disney Movies.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post: