View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I mean, I would have been fine with giving up Valimaki in the right deal. The Flames have the luxury that they have a number of very good defensive prospects. But it was never a necessity.

Two things changed that:

1) Valimaki alone (or with a smaller add than a 1st) would not have been enough
2) Stone re-signed for much more than expected

Anyway, the point of this thread is to say that this team is already good enough. I think they could have traded a guy like Valimaki in the right deal, but because they didn't, they have a great luxury on the back-end. And, they're good enough that adding someone wasn't a real necessity at the end of the day.

Not directed specifically at you Scorp, but honestly how are people coming to this conclusion?

He was offered 10.5 M by the Sens....how much less did you guys think he would settle for?

I know we saw 8-8.5 on here a bunch of times in the lead up, but that was never realistic looking at where the salary cap has gone and where teams are spending their money...its all top heavy.

Him signing in Calgary for 8.5 for example and he would have left 16 million dollars on the table...thats a whole lot of dough to walk away from. A lot. Even if he is making life altering money as is, thats 16M of real cash evaporated.

It was one of the reasons i was so set against going after Stone...his cost wasn't just assets it was going to be a huge and largest chunk of the salary cap for years moving forward when he wasn't even going to be the best or 2nd best player on this very team.