View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #48
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Fired as in they did something wrong, or just let go cause they didn't want them anymore?
McCord being McCord speaks out on his dismissal

Quote:
When golf broadcasting iconoclast Gary McCord signed his last contract with CBS Sports two years ago, he says that Sean McManus, president of the network’s sports division, told him he could stay as long as he wanted.

“He said to me, ‘You’ve been here so long, when you want to go, you tell me.’ I don’t recall telling him that,” McCord said with notable wryness after news broke last week that his two-year option with the network was not picked up, ending his career of 30-plus years at CBS.

“This is not how I would have preferred to see it end,” McCord said. “I’m going on 72. I’ve been doing this for 30-odd years. I knew I was coming to the end of the deal, but I was going to go out on my terms. That’s not happening now.
Quote:
“He [McManus] tells me, and he told Peter the same thing, that ‘We think CBS golf is getting a little stale, and we need to go in another direction,’ ” McCord told Golf Digest by phone from his home in Scottsdale. “I’ve been called a lot of things, but one thing I’ve never been called is stale.”
Quote:
Words from the late Frank Chirkinian, the famed producer who gave McCord his shot behind a microphone, still ring in his ears. It was a warning that has come to fruition. “He told me once to not get too comfortable. He said to me with that deep voice of his, ‘You gotta remember something—this is the company that fired f---ing Walter Cronkite.’ That was after they fired him, too. He was right. Wow.”
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gar...-they-fired-me