View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #4
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

THE 1.2M DOLLAR GOAL
April 14th 2014

Back in the 2013-2014 season, The league had an interesting gimmick called Sponsorship. Teams were able to wager cap at the beginning of the season to purchase a sponsorship. If the team filled the requirements of that sponsorship the team then would be awarded the cap reward for the next season

The Carolina Hurricanes had bet 950k that they would have a player with an OV lower than 60 score a total of 11 goals or more. In dramatic fashion, on the final game of the 2013-2014 season, John Tavares set up the 57ov Brian McGrattan on the powerplay for Big Ern's 11th goal of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post

The Big Ern Cashes Out at Sobeys

Brian McGrattan makes CPHL history with the Carolina Hurricanes last night by scoring his 11th goal of the season in a 4-3 victory over the New York Rangers. Brian becomes the first-ever player CPHL to accomplish the league’s Sobey’s sponsorship reward that rewards it’s organization with a 1.2M cap reward. The Sobey’s sponsorship is handed out to a projected player with an overall rating lower than 60ov with who scores 11 goals in a season. McGrattan's PP goal at 13.01 of the 1st period in the final game of the season was the goal needed by the 57ov rated winger.

McGrattan finishes off the season with a total 11G 7A for 18PTS and an impressive 335 PIM (2nd most in the league) in 76 games.

After the game the humble McGrattan was quick to give credit to his teammates for the accomplishment “my 11 goals this season just goes to show you what an amazing and under-rated player John Tavares is in this league, The number of open nets he gave me was unreal. He’s the best player in our league, and his back-to-back scoring titles prove it.” When asked about the coach's decision to play him on both PP’s lines and did he feel that the organization was pulling for him “Ya, I think coach Lindy Ruff pulled a trick out of KevenGuy ‘s hat, THE Brian Holzinger or something like that…. Actually, the organization has been supporting me for a very long time now, truly blessed to be playing here in Carolina, not only in the early years as I worked my way up from the minors but also for ‘Canes for bringing me back last year and then rewarding me with a 3 yr term in the summer… but to go out and invests another 950K in me like they did with sponsorship hopes really cemented it. It feels great to cash in on one of them, hopefully, it’s not done there and I can bring home another for our GM”

Congratulation to Brian McGrattan on a fabulous season, I actually had a lot of fun trying to accomplish this sponsorship
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: