View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really torn on Bennett. He has a ton of potential, being the Flames highest ever draft pick, putting up 1.6PPG in his draft year and being the #1 rated NA skater. Also, my uncle coached him in midget and is always raving about him, saying he was almost as good as McDavid and has far more potential than Tkachuck. He believes Bennett had his development stunted due to lack of ice time and bad line mates. I'm not so sure. I see someone who is very talented, speedy, and tenacious but hasn't been able to translate his CHL scoring to the NHL.

I'm not sure what the Flames should have done differently with Bennett. They couldn't send him back to junior because he was good enough for the NHL but they couldn't gift him top line centre time because he wasn't as good as Monahan or Backlund. At this stage I think the Flames need to be patient for another year and hope he is a late bloomer like Backlund. We also need to lower our expectations of a top line centre with the more realistic view that in the best case scenario he turns into a good 2nd line winger.