View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sam Bennett Value: Have the Flames held on TOO long?

He’s young, he’s shown he can be good/very good player, and needs to work on consistency.

He and Jankowski, before Jankowski’s slide, gave us hope for what could be a huge benefit for us - a 3rd strong tandem.

We do this with every young player we have around here. The lack of patience confuses me. It’s as if we instantly forget player development takes time.

Bennett lost year 1 to an injury, was great in the playoffs.

Bennett’s rookie season, while playing with good players, was strong.

Bennett’s 2nd season, where he centered truly awful linemates, was a struggle. He showed up and was strong in the playoffs again.

Bennett’s 3rd season, this season, was like...15? games in the exact same spot as the year before. Then Jankowski showed up, and Bennett finally got to play with another good player. They’ve had ups and downs, but have shown great potential together.

His development has not been smooth, and it’s not been consistent. Much like the team around him. Gaudreau and Monahan both got extended time with a strong on-ice veteran. Tkachuk is now into his 2nd season of playing with a strong veteran. Bennett got one season, where he was good, playing with a good veteran. He was then moved to the center position, slapped with awful wingers, and struggled mightily. That’s bad player for player development. He and Jankowski show promise, but they could use a good veteran to play with to help bring consistency into their games. Jagr was that, but he’s gone. Treliving needs to help these two out and get them someone to play with, and I think he will. The best path for the organization is to put young players in positions to succeed. Sometimes they nail it (Ferland being stapled to Johnny and Monahan), sometimes they screw up (Year 2 for Bennett).

Patience will pay off, and I’m looking forward to the Flames acquiring someone good to put on the RW of Bennett-Jankowski. Bennett hasn’t been the instant hit we had hopef, but I believe there’s a very good player in there, we’ve seen it at times. Consistency will come.

For as much as we mock Edmonton, we handled Bennett in the same way they’ve mishandled plenty of their prospects. We should course correct, show patience, help his development (and Janko’s) by supporting him with a good RW. Not an absolute anchor (Brouwer), or fringe NHL’ers (like Hathaway). Find a guy who can help, not hinder.

Also, the -1 last night came when he got onto the ice late when coming on to relieve the 4th line who had been getting crushed and had been stuck on the ice. Hardly his fault.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-07-2018 at 04:12 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: