Thread: #Retire14
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #46
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired. No, he was not the 2nd best Flame of all time - Iginla and MacInnis were the two best Flames of all time.

Why don't I want his number retired? He has been terrible as a Flames alumni criticizing the Flames, but more importantly, he was rather a d-bag for a team mate.

Sure, he had substance abuse issues and a horrible story. But he played drunk. Is that being a good team mate? I remember some of his team mates (Roberts? maybe misremembering here) disliking him.

As well, I will forever remember a story in the Herald during his playing days here under coach Brian Sutter. He basically stated something like: "Practice makes me tired. I don't want to practice. I don't need to practice like the rest of my team does" - something like that.

Sorry, but he will never get a vote from me in retiring his number. His number should be in usage. He shouldn't be retired.
Things might be better in the league now with substance and alcohol abuse.

But don't kid yourself. At one point in time, the whole team went out for too many drinks after games and many played with hangovers the next day.

We are more compassionate as a society and sports fans these days and offer help instead of slamming the individual for an addiction. McGratton, Poirier, and Ferland immediately come to mind.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote