View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I touched on it lightly a while ago and got raked over the coals a bit for suggesting it, but I still think some of the stuff Sutter did was borderline abusive. It is suggested for example that he withheld meals on flights after losses.

Quote:
Via his Twitter account, Carcillo recalled Sutter prohibiting players from eating on the team plane after a bad loss and telling a female flight attendant to “f— off” when she “didn’t roll the food away fast enough.” Carcillo said he also saw Sutter kick a player in the back during a game and berate former Kings defenseman Matt Greene for being around the team when he had a concussion.
Now granted, Carcillo is no saint and has a poor reputation for being a credible source. BUT, this comment did appear in that coach review website (probably Carcillo though?) and I've heard it suggested in the past this was a thing he did. Imagine a junior coach doing this to his players after a loss, keeping his players hungry for losing a game. People would be screaming for his head.

Even the Flames' player who said that he didn't think the physical altercation with Sutter crossed a line, does that mean some kind of physical interaction did in fact occur, just not "strong" enough to be considered over the line? Plenty of reports of him being verbally abusive to not only players, but other staff including arena staff. Jesus, the #### is wrong with that guy?

To me, Sutter's rep has gone down the ####ter after last season. Thank you for reinvigorating the franchise in the early 2000s and the memories. But go #### yourself for some of the things you have clearly gotten away with over your career under the guise of being one of the winningest coaches ever. I was a "in Sutter we trust" guy for the longest time. But hard to feel any kind of sympathy for him, especially since he's shown zero remorse for anything he's done.

Bleh, glad to turn the page on him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: