View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

The Defensemen - The Flames have a very young defensive corps. Between the eight defensemen being rotated right now, there is only seven full seasons of pro hockey experience between them. There are mistakes made, which is to be expected, but I think that they all play well beyond their age or experience. Now, player by player:

Tim Hambly - He's the leading scorer as far as D-men are concerned. He started out the year on fire, then kind of slowed down a bit before he got hurt. He missed about six or seven games, and seemed to miss his stride after coming back. He's getting back into it now, though, and seems more confident on the puck again. I'm not sure if he's an NHL caliber defenseman, but he is a very solid AHL player that might be worth a look some time.

Tim Ramholt - He is frustrating. More often then not, he is solid and good with the puck. However, there are times when he's completely out of the play. For instance, this past week, an opposing forward was skating into the slot with the puck, and he just stood there, flat-footed. I was shocked when he got the NHL call. Not NHL ready, in my opinion. Perhaps in the future

Adam Pardy - He is very steady and consistent. I would call him our most reliable defenseman. He is rarely out of position and is responsible with the puck. He is the quintessential defensive defenseman. He deserved the NHL call-up, but I'm not sure what good it did him to just sit. NHL ready as a part time player, I expect him to be ready for full time NHL work next season

Matt Pelech - This kid is big. He has a very long reach and good range for a guy his size. You won't see a lot of points from him, but he is good on the puck on his own end. He didn't see a lot of ice time to start the year, but as he's come along, he has earned more. Hard to believe, at times, that he's a rookie. He still makes the expected mistakes, but has cut down on them. He is also quick to stick up for a team mate. In my opinion, he might be NHL ready at the start of next season.

Brett Palin - I think he is the cornerstone of the defense. He leads the team in +/-. He sits at +12, and the closest defenseman is a -2. The other defensemen seemed to falter a bit when he was out with injury. Something about Palin that I like is that he's got a bit of a dirty edge to him. He is good at getting that extra little dig in. Solid positioning, and he's confident on the puck. If Peters didn't have the 'C', I could see Palin wearing it. I think the NHL would be a big jump for his style of play, though.

Brad Cole - Cole is something of a question. He has played in less than half of the games, and usually doesn't get much ice time when he is dressed. He is player that most often is sitting out. However, I don't see too many holes in his game. He seems pretty confident out there. Heck of a nice kid too. Not NHL ready.

Gerry Burke - Called up from Vegas not too long ago, and took a spot for himself. He is very responsible with the puck, and has an offensive upside that hasn't really been tapped yet in the AHL. I can see him as a 10 goal, 40 point player in the AHL next season, and then, if his development continues, perhaps an NHL shot the year after.

Gord Baldwin - He's much like Brad Cole in that he is scratched from the lineup quite a bit, and doesn't see the ice a whole lot when he's out there. He seems to be more physical, and I don't mind seeing him out there. He's not as good with the puck as I think he could be. Not NHL ready, but I think it's a possibility.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote