View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #173
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames lost last game because the Avs were a hungrier and/or more desperate squad from top to bottom. They seemed to just want it more. They didn't let up. That was my take anyway. Flames were almost flat-footed at times. Smith had to come up huge a few times too many, IMO. MacKinnon was right in his interview - Colorado should have been up a few in the game. Yet, it still took the Avs until OT to solve Calgary.

I will be expecting a much hungrier Flames team tonight from the drop of the puck, right up until the end of the game. Avs have a top line that can skate with anyone in the league, and play exceedingly high minutes that limits the ability of Calgary's 3M line to contain them. Even then, the 3M line had a lot of difficulty containing that top line, especially when Barrie was on the ice with them (which is often). They are just an elite group of players on the ice that any team has trouble containing.

I just think it will be a different story this time around, and the Flames will do a better job of neutralizing them as a 5-man group. I think we will see another frustrated Avs team, and I hope this time around the Flames truly blow them out and have a statement game.

In my opinion, the Flames are the better team. It is up to them to want it more.

Guys I want to see step-up their play: Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm (offensively anyway), Brodie and Jankowski. I couldn't fault anyone else's game, though I don't really expect Neal to provide any scoring at this point, but he made decent plays and had another hard-nosed game. Flames would be deadly if he had some finish, however.

I absolutely love Monahan, but he is sticking out like a sore thumb at the moment. It is imperative that he gets going. Yes, he scored a goal last game, but he has been too quiet. I just find that he is not skating as hard as I would like.

Also, keep picking at Brassard please. He is overly-emotional and a liability for the Avs I think. He will retaliate and keep sending Calgary to the PP. Landeskog will probably start playing on tilt and do the same eventually, but Brassard is easy pickings in that area it seems.

Colorado is proving themselves to be a tougher opponent than they seemed. They have a deadly-quick transition that is catching Calgary (thank goodness for Mike Smith!) off-guard. This is what I was most worried about to start the series. There is more talent on that Avs roster than people thought. They are a fun to watch team for that reason. Calgary is just a better and deeper team, however, even if MacKinnon is one of the best players in the NHL. Flames need to attack more and just put in more effort. I really think that the Avs just came out harder and got Calgary on their heels a bit, and they continued to come after Calgary. Calgary needs to transition a bit faster and get them on their heels, and just keep that damn foot pressed down on their throats. Avs will will not only bend, but they will break. It really is up to Calgary to get it done.

Anyone else see Mike Smith playing at this elite level? The biggest question mark on the Flames when trying to decide if they were contenders or not was goaltending, and goaltending has been without a doubt the biggest strength in the playoffs thus far. It is too bad Smith's effort was wasted last game. Flames need to take the game to the Avs. They will win if they do so. I thought they were too passive, and the Avs took advantage.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote