View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
I have always been a Backlund fan from the time we drafted him. From my recollection, it was only due to knee injury he sustained in his draft year that we were able to snag him in the first round. Had it not been for the injury, he was slated to go much higher.

When he decided to come to Kelowna for the last quarter of the season, I was elated and started to cheer for the Rockets that season to win it all as a result. The nice thing was due to them playing the Hitmen the finals, I was able to see him in action at the dome. It was great to see Kelowna win the WHL championship and head to the Memorial cup. Benn was a beast then, but Backlund was dominant too.

i don't remember which game of the finals my buddy and i were at in kelowna - but it was great!! i think we were the only two people in the arena wearing hitmen jerseys
i know calgary won the game we were at - which was awesome, but the best part was when the rockets scored. i think backlund scored twice (?) and both times we jumped up and cheered with everyone else. the fans right around us were so confused. we explained that backlund would be playing for the flames in the fall - and we cheer for calgary first - future flames or hitmen - it made no difference to us!!!
i guess the game was televised and i had a few messages on my answering machine from friends chirping me for going to the game and wearing a hitmen jersey

i also got to meet backlund in penticton at the young stars tourney - he was such a nice guy (and i'm sure he still is). i told him the story above and he thought it was pretty funny.