View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #2706
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
LOL. Pretty obvious to start planning for diversification instead of putting all your eggs in one basket, no? Particularly with the advent of advanced technologies through the 90s? Oil and gas has always been volatile, you don't have to look far into your crystal ball to understand that.
If you gave me 100% control over the province's treasury right now, I can guarantee that I can temporarily generate solid GDP growth numbers for Alberta. Basically I would run the mother of all deficits ever known to any province, load up helicopters with cash and dump them on population centers all across Alberta.

As ridiculous as that sounds and however awful an idea that is, it would have a stronger impact on the economy than what the NDP are doing right now (because every individual would spend their money based on what makes sense for them individually rather than people like Joe Ceci blowing it for them), would be just as sustainable as the NDP's current budgets where they are running an operating deficit, and would beat any bureaucrat's ideas for 'diversifying the economy.' That's all the NDP are doing right now on the economic file, they are pissing away massive amounts of money borrowed from our future fiscal. That's not a feather in Edmonton's cap or any economic model that needs to be adopted by Calgary!

Despite what some people believe here, economies can't be invented by governments, but they sure has hell can be f'ed up at the stroke of the pen by governments. If the government can diversify the economy and find lucrative industries out of nothing, then places like Detroit would have been fixed a long time ago.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 03-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post: