Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
You don't have to worry about which resolution the source is pushing out because the TV is able to automatically switch between 1080p and 4K.
No disagreement with psicodude but just a quick addendum on that sentence. He is absolutely correct that the TV automatically switches between 1080p, 1080i, and 4k. The extra bit is that all 4k TVs MUST upscale to 4k in order to display the image on the screen. So, you will be getting output on a 4K screen, but the upconversion technology on your TV becomes more important to make the image the best that it can be.

You also asked about xbox or other devices plugging in. I plug my 360 directly into one of the HDMI ports, output at 1080p, and let the TV upconvert. I have been going back and forth with optical and ARC to get the best audio and I haven't found the best one yet...I keep switching.

As for visual acuity, I find it slightly ironic that there was a huge kerfluffle about ps4 v xbox1 about rendering in 1080p etc. when, as CHL's chart shows, people may be sitting a distance away from their tv where it just doesn't matter.

I watch 4k Netflix, and it is really good. I sit the proper distance from my tv and you can really tell the difference in a native 4k show when you are looking for it. What do I mean by that? I mean that when you are watching something, you are watching it. you don't watch crap just because it is in 4k, you watch what you watch. Someone else mentioned HDR being a bit of a big deal for them, and you should consider that in your purchase as well.

You were asking about casting and I cast all of the time, but my preferred approach is to have apps already on the TV such as Netflix or youtube. I have been impressed with the Android TV platform as I can hit my server, youtube, internet, whatever. And having Netflix controls on one remote, well that makes it easier for the non technical people in my house.

Some of the most fun times that I have had with this tv (I have a sony) is using the youtube app; I have some buddies over and drinking and chatting and you can queue up videos on youtube so that they stream and just play. It is strangely fun to see old videos of songs that you had forgotten about because someone queued it up in your house using their mobile device (apple and android both work equally well). stupid I know...but strangely fun.

good luck in your purchase! I used rtings.com as a key source of my investigation on brands and price.