View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Job Seekers thread Mark 2

I thought I would start a new thread, a lot of us are worried about our jobs, or are going into a layoff cycle and looking for new jobs.

I was sitting there this morning staring at my termination/layoff letter, and thinking about an uncertain future, I got more of a package then they needed to give for a guy just out of the first year (4 weeks) instead of 2 weeks. Plus its going to supposedly be easier to get UI. But still with the doom and gloom out there, I'm just not looking forward to another job search. I know a lot of people that are feeling that way.

But at the same time, I believe that this whole thing and a new fresh thread can be a bit therapeutic, not just for me, but for everyone else out there that needs a suggestion or help or encouragement.

My original plan was to say screw this man, its Friday, I'm tired, I don't feel great, I'm upset, angry depressed, all of that stuff. But the one underlying thing is that the show has to go on, I have a choice to sit on this and let it fester and eat me alive. Or accept it and say that there aren't going to be any opportunities out there, and that prediction might be right. Who knows.

I decided that yeah for the most part, I'm going to try and relax today and just do some fun things. But I sat there drinking my coffee and staring at that termination form and decided that the stress of things would eat me alive.

So this morning I signed my termination, put the company I was with in the past. Talked to some of the others that were laid off, just to see if I could help them and encourage them (Some are angry), said goodbyes to some of the survivers and closed the chapter.

I went and updated my resume this morning, nailed down some people that I can use as references including two from my previous role. Went and updated my linkedin, Indeed, ziprecruiter, career builder and glass door accounts and did a search.

I applied to 7 roles today, I found 8 others that I'm interested in, but saved them for Monday. I'm going to start my EI application on Monday, though I won't get my ROE until a week from Thursday.

I think I've done enough for the first day, I think I'm going to go for a walk, I'm going to play some games on my computer, I'm going to take a nice long walk, and I'm going to clear my brain.

This thread is for anyone that has questions, fears, ideas, encouragement, or maybe also people that are hiring and want to share.

We can all use the help no matter what.

Best of luck to everyone in a sh%tty situation, all we can do is work through it together.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: